Skip to main content

Hot Chocolate Festival 2015 - Chocolaterie de la Nouvelle France - Lavande Classique

Chocolaterie de la Nouvelle France on Urbanspoon On Saturday I did a Hot Chocolate Crawl for Hot Chocolate Festival 2015 with a fellow Yelper and we hit three places. Chocolaterie de la Nouvelle France was the first stop. We got in shortly after they opened as there was concern they might sell out, as they did last year.

It's a tiny store that's basically slightly more than half kitchen and the rest is maybe a 20-seat area of mostly benches as well as some space outside. Has sort of a rustic feel and a decor that includes lots of chocolate molds. Strangely it felt quaint.

All drinks are prepared with milk or almond milk. A selection of flavours is also offered in bags to prepare at home. No drink service on Feb 14th, to accommodate their Valentine's Day lineup.

#17 - "Marocchino"

Classic Italian drink: half drinking chocolate, half espresso.
Served with a meringue of your choice. Our recommendation: cardamom, anise or vanilla.
Available: every day of the festival that the shop is open.

#18 - "Praliné Chocolat"

Liquid house made Nutella: drinking chocolate + hazelnut praline.
Served with a meringue of your choice. Our recommendation: maple, espresso or vanilla.
Available: every day of the festival that the shop is open.

#19 - "Lavande Classique"

Available only once a year, during the hot chocolate festival, the simple but classic lavender hot chocolate is back by popular demand. Served with a meringue of your choice. Our recommendation: rose, orange blossom or chocolate. 
Available: every day of the festival that the shop is open.

#20 - "Aztec Glacé"

Anne's favorite iced hot chocolate. Spicy, hot, cold, salty and sweet. Purely addictive. 
Served with a meringue of your choice. Our recommendation: espresso, chocolate or vanilla. 
Available: every day of the festival that the shop is open.

I asked for "weird" and was recommended the lavender because it's apparently not a common chocolate flavour (?). Anyway, $5 and comes with your choice of a meringue. I went with jasmine, my friend went with rose. Smaller-sized cups available for slightly less cost.

The Lavande Classique has a not-too-strong lavendar flavour. Otherwise nothing too special -- but nothing wrong. Which bring up the side point of "what are you expecting from the Hot Chocolate Festival"?

I typically go for whatever is strange and interesting and for that reason I tried the cricket hot chocolate, one of Mink's two entries into the Hot Chocolate Festival for 2015. It turned out to be just crickets sprinkled on hot chocolate. For over $8. Waste of time.
At Chocolaterie de la Nouvelle France you get a nicely prepared hot chocolate with extra flavouring that will hopefully combine well with chocolate. It is up to you whether this is worth $5 and I am also assuming that the supposed time-limited-offer is factored into the cost.

As I proceeded on the hot chocolate crawl I thought more about the question of expectation, as well as what my expectations really were for Dine Out Vancouver. More later...

My friend's order, the Aztec Glacé was a medium-spicy hot chocolate poured over ice, making it a cold hot chocolate. Sort of like a frappucino, I guess. Supposed to be "spicy, hot, cold, salty, and sweet" but the latter two flavours didn't really come out for me when I sampled it. Might be a bit too adventurous for some.

The meringues both had good strong flavour. If you like marshmellow in your hot chocolate, drop the meringue in and it'll soften up right quick into a chewy marshmellow consistency.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trafalgar's European Explorer 2006 memoirs part 3

A picture from my 2006 trip, a Trafalgar 's bus tour, on an itinerary called the European Explorer. I can't remember why I had this couple in the picture, but I do vaguely remember this to be in London, on the first official day of the tour group getting together. Their insistence on my helping them take a picture caused the three of us to be late getting back to the bus. The local tour guide had a "rule" about lateness, that we had to buy chocolate to share with everyone. As it turned out, later in the trip, on at least two occasions, we were stuck on the highway on either a long commute or a traffic jam, and I had chocolate and chocolate-covered marzipan to share. About the chocolate-covered marzipan -- Apparently we were in Austria just as they were celebrating Mozart's birthday with special marzipans wrapped in foil with the famous composer's picture. I'm pretty sure it was Mirabell Mozartkugeln . Anyway, there were enough to go around the en

Meet Melissa Gaines and her blurry sexy pics

Oh boy! I had no sooner finished posting about the lovely Taylor Burch responding to my personals ad on Craigslist when Melissa Gaines (e-mailing from erikmcclure858@yahoo.com) mailed me a couple more pictures of her lithe body and selling her profile on the same looks-like-a-phishing-scam site (http://craigslistsafe.net/profiles/melx3/). One of them was an NSFW naked-breasts pic which I haven't posted here (sorry -- but honestly, nothing to write home about, especially with the serious bikini tan lines). Here's the e-mail exchange: Melissa e-mail #1 Here is my picture as attached. Please e-mail me details what you are looking for along with your pictures. Thanks and waiting to hear from you soon. Melissa e-mail #2 hey thanks for getting back to me we should definitely meetup sometime... if youre interested of course :) a couple things i should set straight though: 1 we use condoms 2 you join a dating site that I belong to safedates no worries though its fr

Trafalgar's European Explorer 2006 memoirs part 10

The last of my pictures (at least the ones that survived the cheesy disposable cameras) from my 2006 trip, a Trafalgar 's bus tour, on an itinerary called the European Explorer. Below is the obligatory group photo. Not sure everyone's in it, actually. I'm pretty sure this one was taken by the tour director, Mike Scrimshire as I'm in the back row, on the right side.