Skip to main content

Hot Chocolate Festival 2015 - The Last Crumb Bakery - Triple Ginger Spiced Hot Chocolate

The Last Crumb Bakery & Cafe on UrbanspoonOn Saturday I did a Hot Chocolate Crawl for Hot Chocolate Festival 2015 with a fellow Yelper and we hit three places. The Last Crumb Bakery was the second stop.

It's actually a remarkably large place that feels a bit like a high school cafeteria. Spacious seating. Just one washroom and you need to ask for the key. Can I take points off for that?

(Please note that the bakery and cafe is closed on Mondays. See hours below.)
At The Last Crumb Bakery and Cafe they make their hot chocolate sauce in house from a rich, high quality Dutch Cocoa.

#39 - "TRIPLE GINGER SPICED HOT CHOCOLATE"

Triple ginger hot chocolate.
Served with handmade Ginger Apricot Sconscotti
(biscotti made from our delicious, handmade buttery scones.)
Available: January 17 - February 14

#40 - "CHOCOLATE CHERRY LUST"

Sour cherry hot chocolate.
Accompanied by a fluffy, handmade, vanilla speckled marshmallow. 
Available: January 17 - February 14

Triple Ginger Spiced Hot Chocolate ($6)
  • Not very gingery at all, definitely no chance of ginger burn. I didn't think to ask at the time but "triple ginger" might refer to having used three kinds of ginger, such as in this triple-ginger cookie recipe that uses ground, crystallized, and fresh ginger.
  • The sconscotti was rather token, maybe 5 inches long and a centimeter at its thickest. Chewy on the inside just like one of their scones -- it's basically a slice of their scone, baked again to have a crusty shell. Could see bits of apricot but with such a small sample it was neither gingery nor fruity. Waste of time. I hope I didn't pay too much extra for that to a hot chocolate that came in at $6 for the combo.
    • It seems like all the Hot Chocolate Festival offerings have some sort of accompaniment and I wonder if this was a Festival schtick, a way to add token value and increase the price, or genuinely something to enhance your experience of the hot chocolate.
Chocolate Cherry Lust ($6)
  • Strong sweet Maraschino cherry flavour that dominates over the hot chocolate. If you like that in your ice cream you might like this too. A bit off-putting for me actually but I'm biased because I'm not really partial to that much Maraschino cherry.
  • Rather big but flattish piece of marshmellow easily about the same as 3-4 regulation sized marshmellows.
Gluten-Free Browned Butter Brownie ($3.25)
  • Not as dense, heavy, or chocolatey as your typical fudge-type brownie.
  • Kind of flour-y tasting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trafalgar's European Explorer 2006 memoirs part 3

A picture from my 2006 trip, a Trafalgar 's bus tour, on an itinerary called the European Explorer. I can't remember why I had this couple in the picture, but I do vaguely remember this to be in London, on the first official day of the tour group getting together. Their insistence on my helping them take a picture caused the three of us to be late getting back to the bus. The local tour guide had a "rule" about lateness, that we had to buy chocolate to share with everyone. As it turned out, later in the trip, on at least two occasions, we were stuck on the highway on either a long commute or a traffic jam, and I had chocolate and chocolate-covered marzipan to share. About the chocolate-covered marzipan -- Apparently we were in Austria just as they were celebrating Mozart's birthday with special marzipans wrapped in foil with the famous composer's picture. I'm pretty sure it was Mirabell Mozartkugeln . Anyway, there were enough to go around the en

Meet Melissa Gaines and her blurry sexy pics

Oh boy! I had no sooner finished posting about the lovely Taylor Burch responding to my personals ad on Craigslist when Melissa Gaines (e-mailing from erikmcclure858@yahoo.com) mailed me a couple more pictures of her lithe body and selling her profile on the same looks-like-a-phishing-scam site (http://craigslistsafe.net/profiles/melx3/). One of them was an NSFW naked-breasts pic which I haven't posted here (sorry -- but honestly, nothing to write home about, especially with the serious bikini tan lines). Here's the e-mail exchange: Melissa e-mail #1 Here is my picture as attached. Please e-mail me details what you are looking for along with your pictures. Thanks and waiting to hear from you soon. Melissa e-mail #2 hey thanks for getting back to me we should definitely meetup sometime... if youre interested of course :) a couple things i should set straight though: 1 we use condoms 2 you join a dating site that I belong to safedates no worries though its fr

Trafalgar's European Explorer 2006 memoirs part 10

The last of my pictures (at least the ones that survived the cheesy disposable cameras) from my 2006 trip, a Trafalgar 's bus tour, on an itinerary called the European Explorer. Below is the obligatory group photo. Not sure everyone's in it, actually. I'm pretty sure this one was taken by the tour director, Mike Scrimshire as I'm in the back row, on the right side.