Skip to main content

2015 San Francisco - Day 7 - Evening

(Link to all 2015-April San Francisco / Berkeley trip blog posts)

Oblivious to how indirect it was to actually walk to the Berkeley Marina (no, I couldn't just follow the University Avenue traffic across the bridge), I blithely said I'd try to make it there by 5 PM. I only got as far as McLaughlin Eastshore State Park before I admitted I was lost. There was definitely no sign of any "junkyard park" in sight. Thank god for my cellphone because I could call my friend to rescue her hapless Vancouver visitor.

I actually don't own a cellphone and haven't for years. My friends all know the reason I've always stuck to: When I did own one, all people ever called me for was to tell me they were going to be late.
And that honestly really bugged me because typically they'd call when they were already 15 minutes late to apologize and ask me to wait another 15-30 minutes more. If I say no, suddenly I'm the jerk even though they are late.
So if I don't have a cellphone, then they can't reach me and everyone can decide how to protect their time. I can just leave. They can give up and not show up, and leave me a message later.

But given the number of times a cellphone has been handy (plus they now take really decent pictures), I'm honestly thinking of getting a Samsung Galaxy Note Edge, if I can somehow avoid paying for data. And figure out how to haul it around without getting it stolen.

The parents and kids were apparently done with "junkyard park" as they were all in the playground or on the muddy low-tide beach. My friend informed me that the park had a zipline for kids, and assorted structures that they could add to or decorate if they located some "dangerous junk" for trade -- such as loose nails or other things.
I quickly handed over her mug and my spare oranges lest I forgot, then found myself a shady tree. After placing my palm on the trunk and silently thanking it for being there and providing shade and allowing me to sit under, I sat quietly to rest after a long day and try to meditate a bit.

After an hour or so, we rounded up my friend's kids, packed up, and left. She dropped me off at Cafe Leila. I wanted to end my day with the spicy chai again (cold this time) and I offered to get one for her and the kids, but she declined. She said she'd call me later in the evening.

I got my chai and maybe it was because of the hot day but I finished it mere minutes after leaving the Cafe, and well before I got back to the Inn.

Bathed, packed, set my alarm, went to sleep.

Basically my trip was over.

In the evening my friend called me and offered to take me to the airport in lieu of me taking the BART. I didn't want to impose, but she gently insisted and I accepted.
Throughout this trip I really felt humbled by her attentiveness, generosity, care, and hospitality. Whenever she was in Vancouver, she'd typically just have the one day with me as she had many friends to visit, and we'd walk around shopping and eating. All that seemed so trivial now compared to how much time she'd spent with me, that I was sad I hadn't done more -- hadn't thought to do more -- for her.
And now there was no telling when she'd ever get the chance to visit Vancouver again.

I woke at around 10 PM and got ready to leave my Inn room for the very last time. Left a tip for the cleaners. Throughout my trip I left the "do not disturb" sign on the doorknob because I didn't need any change of linens -- which would have cost water to wash, water which was precious at time time in all of California.
I went to the Office to chat with the staffer on shift -- Pedro -- and say my last goodbyes. We shook hands, then I got into my friend's car and we were off.

It was quite a drive from the Golden Bear Inn to SFO airport, across the bridges spanning Treasure Island. The BART would have gone underground across that span, and I would have completely missed the brightly, beautifully, lit suspension bridge. Was this why my dear friend had been so insistent all along?
It was a magnificent end to my time in Berkeley, and my last night in San Francisco.

Dropped off the rented TripTel phone, and once more I was off the grid. Air Canada check-in wouldn't be open till 5 AM. There was an interesting Joseff of Hollywood "Jeweler to the Stars" display nearby but the cleaners were doing their rounds and I deferred that for morning. Instead, I, like several others, found whatever benches we could and tucked in for the night. I went with the padded food court benches. Took off my shoes, pulled my bag close, and power napped.
Too anxious to really sleep, lest my shoes were stolen or my baggage tampered with.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trafalgar's European Explorer 2006 memoirs part 3

A picture from my 2006 trip, a Trafalgar 's bus tour, on an itinerary called the European Explorer. I can't remember why I had this couple in the picture, but I do vaguely remember this to be in London, on the first official day of the tour group getting together. Their insistence on my helping them take a picture caused the three of us to be late getting back to the bus. The local tour guide had a "rule" about lateness, that we had to buy chocolate to share with everyone. As it turned out, later in the trip, on at least two occasions, we were stuck on the highway on either a long commute or a traffic jam, and I had chocolate and chocolate-covered marzipan to share. About the chocolate-covered marzipan -- Apparently we were in Austria just as they were celebrating Mozart's birthday with special marzipans wrapped in foil with the famous composer's picture. I'm pretty sure it was Mirabell Mozartkugeln . Anyway, there were enough to go around the en

Meet Melissa Gaines and her blurry sexy pics

Oh boy! I had no sooner finished posting about the lovely Taylor Burch responding to my personals ad on Craigslist when Melissa Gaines (e-mailing from erikmcclure858@yahoo.com) mailed me a couple more pictures of her lithe body and selling her profile on the same looks-like-a-phishing-scam site (http://craigslistsafe.net/profiles/melx3/). One of them was an NSFW naked-breasts pic which I haven't posted here (sorry -- but honestly, nothing to write home about, especially with the serious bikini tan lines). Here's the e-mail exchange: Melissa e-mail #1 Here is my picture as attached. Please e-mail me details what you are looking for along with your pictures. Thanks and waiting to hear from you soon. Melissa e-mail #2 hey thanks for getting back to me we should definitely meetup sometime... if youre interested of course :) a couple things i should set straight though: 1 we use condoms 2 you join a dating site that I belong to safedates no worries though its fr

Trafalgar's European Explorer 2006 memoirs part 10

The last of my pictures (at least the ones that survived the cheesy disposable cameras) from my 2006 trip, a Trafalgar 's bus tour, on an itinerary called the European Explorer. Below is the obligatory group photo. Not sure everyone's in it, actually. I'm pretty sure this one was taken by the tour director, Mike Scrimshire as I'm in the back row, on the right side.